navigation bar


Monday, June 2, 2014

homemade granola

I suppose this falls under the category of "you know you're a hippy when..." but it's more cost effective and (I would guess) a healthier version than store bought!
Dry ingredients all mixed up!

Here is my version of a recipe. It's hard to mess up :)

Preheat the oven to 350*

6 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped raw cashews
1 cup sliced or slivered raw almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2-4 tablespoons sesame seeds

Combine dry ingredients, mixing well. At this point you can also sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon if you want. I skipped it this time around.

Now add the following:
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey or agave
1/3 - 1/2 cup neutral oil

I used canola oil this time but am hoping to try coconut oil on the next batch. The liquid ingredients are adjustable depending on how sweet you want your granola and also whether you want it to bake in the oven or simply toast. I tend to use less to cut back on the sugar and I love the flavor.

Add the wet ingredients then mix, mix, mix! Once it is incorporated, dump onto a large baking sheet and spread evenly. You will want to stir the mixture every 10-15 minutes to prevent it from getting too dark in any one place. I forgot to take a picture at this point so I will just have to warn you that the edges crisp up quickly!

Once the mixture is evenly golden brown and darkened, remove it from the oven and let it cool. I store mine in a tall glass canister with an airtight lid. I leave a 1/4C scoop right in there for easy serving in the morning.

It's delicious with almond or even yogurt.  So good and so refreshing when you add some berries or fruit to the top!

Happy crunching!


No comments: