navigation bar


Friday, July 17, 2015

fiber friday

It's been too long! I've been working with mostly paper these days and while that's technically fiber, it's not quite the same.
On our Epic Road trip we were able to visit a few yarn shops which definitely got me back in the mood to pick up my needles. It's interesting to me how two shops can have the same supplies but arrange it very differently. I find that this greatly effects my interest level. In one shop it was all neat and orderly, white matching shelves and very bright artificial light. Beautiful but I didn't want to touch anything for fear of messing it up. Another shop was quirky with baskets overflowing with yarn, wooden crates as storage and tiered tables. I think I spent an hour here and touch almost every skein of yarn!
I ended up arriving there on day one of a sale! And because it was Friday, not many people were around so we had the shop to ourselves. I dug around the 50% off tables (6 of them!) and found a color that I couldn't put down. It's a sage green sort of. Reminds me of a muted versions of my elementary school favorite: jungle green. Did you have that marker? If so, i probably borrowed it from you.

So, the yarn is a worsted weight and with the 2 skeins I have about 400+ yards. Now... what am I making with it? So glad you asked. I DON'T KNOW!

But here are some things I'm considering:

Winter Sea Shawl by Liz Abinante
This looks like a fun knit but also a good repeating pattern. Since the yarn is solid, I think it will look nice with some texture.

Dominika by Ardilanak
This looks interesting, but I'm not sure it it's big enough. I like the option of tying the ends together around my neck, but I love the drop stitches that cross along the bottom!

Blue Heather Shawl by Leonore Bogat
This one is beautiful, but with a solid yarn I think it might be too plain. It would be great for a variegated or stripy yarn!

Cherry Wrap by Cath Ward
This one is pretty and has a great texture! I would probably have to pay close attention to what I'm doing... problem? Maybe...

Persimmon Wrap by Nikki Slipp
This is awesome! It ends up like a circle and I definitely have enough yarn. Plus the texture is cool.
Can you knit something called "persimmon" in green? Perhaps!


Decision making time! I'm going to knit a bit with needles size 7-9 to see what looks best with the yarn and that should help me narrow it down. Can't wait to show you progress! Until then, I'm to the lace on my Whispering Pines Shawl! It's only taken me 4 months to start it back up again. It was great car knitting since it's a 4 row repeat and all odd rows are purl across. Looking forward to seeing how the lace turns out!


No comments: