I am always inspired over Christmas Break to dive into some books or finish up the books that are taking me too long to read during full and busy work weeks. 2011 ended no differently.
what i love about this relatively new & unintentional tradition is that i start the year with a rediscovered love of reading; a passion, really. Here is how this month is panning out, bookwise:
Reading or finished reading:
1. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling - i had wanted to read this book since it came out last year and am so glad it accidentally fell into my hands. thanks sister!
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins . I was ready to dive into something very different, after the memoir. Although I have a growing list of books I'd like to read (see Goodreads), I skipped ahead to this well known and well recommended book. 3 days; THREE DAYS is all it took me. Of course, there were snow days without work involved, but STILL! it reminds me a lot of a trilogy i read last year called The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness. also thrilling and hard to put down.
3. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - I know... I'm had this one going for SO LONG. it's a very fun and engaging mystery, but i started it at a busy time and it was due back at the library, and blah, blah, blah... This time, I am into it and i've acquired a copy of the book, so wish me luck and hopefully it can graduate from 'currently reading' to the 'read' list soon!
A few of the books up next in the pile are:
1. Enders Game by Orson Scott Card -a recommendation from the hubby. You may notice a pattern of young adult dystopia. for now i'm chalking it up to the fact that when I should've been reading these types of books, i despised reading. i'm making up for lost time!
2. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - I love the Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes series' by this author. We listened to about half of this book on CD a few summers ago so i think it will be easy to pick up.
3. Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paola Giordano- I purchased this book a year ago on clearance with one of my last Border's giftcards. I think i mostly likely the cover art/font and the fact that it talked about Math. looking forward to seeing what it might actually be about!
And of course... Books 2 & 3 of the Hunger Games Triology. Just as soon as i can get them from the library...