navigation bar


Friday, January 26, 2007

Day of art!

Today I'm going to picture pages to
  1. organize my paper
  2. sort out my many projects that i've started and not finished
  3. work on some projects
I was inspired last night by someone who always reminds me of my love of art so I'm going to go at it today! And i don't want to deprive you of art or cupcakes, so below is the recipe i used and here is something I made yesterday. Happy Friday! Hooray for Weekend!

Cupcakes
makes about 10-12
  • 1 Cup milk substance
  • 1/3 canola oil or melted margarine
  • 1/4 sugar (I like to use brown sugar so they are dark and rich)
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 Cup tapioca flour
  • 2 tablespoon ground flax
  • 1/3 cup corn flour (or almond flour)
  • 1/2 Cup white rice flour
  • 1/2 Cup quinoa flour or sorghum flour (I didn't have quinoa)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
(when I made these last time, I substituted some of the liquid with coffee and I added about 2 tsp of ginger power and some cinnamon and nutmeg. Also, the flax seed is a replacement for eggs because this is from a vegan/gluten free book so you could use as egg but you might have to cut back on the liquid)
  • Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin tin (or use liners if you have them, but I greased and floured the tin the first time which made them look like mini cakes!)
  • Combine milk, oil/butter, sugar and spices/extracts. Then add in the tapioca flour and flax seed/egg and mix this up for awhile because tapioca flour is very absorbant and you want it really mixed in.
  • Then you can add the rest of the ingredients. The mix will not be thick which is alright. (This will make you cupcakes fluffy, so if you want them a little more dense you can add a little more white rice flour or sorghum flour.)
  • Now you simply pour this into the muffin tins and cook for about 20 minutes or until they are gold brown. (Make sure to fill the cups almost all the way full because they only rise a little bit. This is why the number you end up with will vary, but i only left a 1/4 of an inch in most case.)
Frosting
I don't have a good recipe for this because I used another recipe which uses a scale and i just add a little of this and then a little of this... Basically is it margarine nice and creamy with powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and lost of ginger! This time i also added a little cardamom as well. I put the margarine in the food processor, whipped it up and then added a bunch of powdered sugar and pour a little milk in as it was blending until it was about the right consistency. Then I added the spiced and the vanilla extract and finished up blending. It will also depend on how much you like frosting. That's about my favorite part so I always make lots.
You can sprinkle with cinnamon or you could add different flavors to your frosting. Lemon extract, almond, cocoa powder, peanut butter instead of butter Or just make vanilla and add food coloring! I say experiment. Go team go!

1 comment:

Juliann in WA said...

cute Thanksgiving page - can't wait to see what else you created
happy weekend